Having completed a history degree at Queens University Belfast, Joe trained as a chartered accountant before taking a particular interest in the area of Irish taxation. He worked as a tax partner in a Big 4 firm for many years before taking the decision to set up McAvoy as a specialist advisory firm in 1997.
Joe has contributed articles to both the major professional journals and the popular press on a variety of taxation topics and is a frequent speaker at taxation and investment seminars. For several years, he was a co-author of “Irish Income Tax”, the leading authority on Irish income tax, and before that authored “Irish Transfer Pricing” for the International Bureau of Fiscal Documentation.
Areas of expertise
• Tax-Effective Disposals and Acquisitions of Business
• The transfer of assets within families
• Tax Disputes with Revenue
• Business Structuring and Restructuring
Client work includes
Joe advises businesses and private clients on all areas of tax law. The work that he has done includes advising on:
• The demutualisation of a life insurance company
• Defending the transfer pricing practices of an Irish group of companies
• The creation of exit strategies for a variety of majority shareholders in Irish private companies
• The transfer of assets from one generation of a family to succeeding generations
• The restructuring of companies prior to their sale to third parties
• The resolution of disputes with Revenue