Tax Tip: Start Up Relief

If you are starting a new business you may be able to claim a refund of tax that you paid in prior years under the Start Up Relief for Entrepreneurs (SURE) scheme.

SURE is a tax relief that provides a refund of income tax that you paid in previous years. You can claim the relief if you are an employee, an unemployed person or a person who has recently been made redundant and are starting your own business.

The general conditions for SURE are that you must:

  • establish a new company carrying on a new qualifying trading activity.
  • have mainly Pay As You Earn (PAYE) income in the previous four years.
  • take up full-time employment in the new company as a director or an employee.
  • invest cash in the new company by purchasing new ordinary shares.
  • keep the purchased shares for at least four years.

There are a number of specific conditions that the individual and the company must meet in order to qualify for this relief.

To find out more about Start-up Relief, please arrange a consultation with one of our advisors.

Related Posts

Tax Relief Advice
Our Articles

Taxation of Estates

Taxation of Estates Sensible tax planning will optimise the tax position of beneficiaries. Intricate tax issues arise across a variety of tax heads in the

Read More »

Our Directors

Stephanie Kirby, tax director
Business Advisory

Sign up to get our free newsletter with helpful tax tips