If you are starting a new business you may be able to claim a refund of tax that you paid in prior years under the Start Up Relief for Entrepreneurs (SURE) scheme.
SURE is a tax relief that provides a refund of income tax that you paid in previous years. You can claim the relief if you are an employee, an unemployed person or a person who has recently been made redundant and are starting your own business.
The general conditions for SURE are that you must:
- establish a new company carrying on a new qualifying trading activity.
- have mainly Pay As You Earn (PAYE) income in the previous four years.
- take up full-time employment in the new company as a director or an employee.
- invest cash in the new company by purchasing new ordinary shares.
- keep the purchased shares for at least four years.
There are a number of specific conditions that the individual and the company must meet in order to qualify for this relief.
To find out more about Start-up Relief, please arrange a consultation with one of our advisors.